Christ the King Facts:

  • Established under the Diocese of Tucson on September 19, 1959
  • Comprised the eastern part of Mesa and included the underdeveloped areas (including Apache Junction)
  • Became part of the Diocese of Phoenix when the diocese was established in 1969
  • Father John Cullinan, our founding pastor, was appointed on September 21, 1959
  • Sunday Mass was offered in the cafeteria of East Junior High School
  • Beginning of 1960 Masses moved to the Mesa Knights of Columbus Hall on Broadway (now the Community Center)
  • The new church (now the Ministry Building) and four classrooms were dedicated by the Most Rev. Francis J. Green D.D. on Sunday, January 22 1961

Christ the King School Facts:

  • Four additional classrooms and the convent (now the Parish Center) were completed in 1964
  • September of 1964 – space was made available for a school to open with grades one through six
  • 1964 – Fr. Cullinan invited four Presentation Sisters from Ireland to staff the school
  • 1966 –  students for grades seven and eight were recruited
  • May 1967  – first graduating class
  • 1979- Kindergarten added
  • The Presentation Sisters continued to teach and staff the school until 1988

Pastor History:

Fr. Michael O’Grady – Pastor from 1969 to 1974

Father Thomas O’Dea – Pastor from 1974 to 1987

  • Presentation Hall was designed and constructed Bishop Green dedicated the new facility on the Feast of Christ the King, November 22, 1981

Father Albert Hoorman – Pastor from 1987 to 1988

Father William Healy – Pastor from 1988 to 1993

Father John Coleman – Pastor from 1993 to 2000

Father Chris Carpenter  – Pastor from 2000 to 2006

Father Steven Kunkel – Pastor from 2006 to 2014

Father Matthew Henry – Pastor from 2014 to 2016

Our Current Parochial Administrator is Father Rolyn Francisco

 

We continue to grow, as we build, bless and become the Body of Christ.